Hello dear friends! We have plenty of basil plants just outside our window. And guess what? They’re much ready for harvest and so I decided to make my Homemade Basil Pesto Sauce for that bunch of Sweet and Thai Basil last weekend. I know that most Pesto calls for Sweet Basil or just Thai Basil. But since I can’t afford to waste any of them, I decided to just combine both. After all they were both basil and I can’t simply get enough of their sweet and soothing smell. I was also feeling inspired that I made my pesto the traditional way that morning. Meaning, I used the pestle and mortar instead of a food processor. And lastly, since I don’t have available pine nuts or any nuts for that matter, I decided to just omit that ingredient in my pesto sauce. I should say that it’s also great for those people who have nut allergies.
So here we go…..introducing my…….
Homemade Basil Pesto Sauce Without Nuts
- 1 clove of garlic
- 5 good handfuls of fresh basil (Sweet or Thai)
- Parmesan cheese
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- lemon juice (half)
- Wash the basil leaves and drain.
- Add the chopped garlic and salt into the mortar and start working with the pestle by pressing and rotating it until smooth.
- Now add the basil leaves little by little while pounding until you reach the texture you prefer.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and mix well (but I preferred to mix the cheese by slowly pounding it with the pestle to really incorporate the flavor.
- Transfer the pesto in a bowl and mix the olive oil and ground black pepper to taste.
- Squeeze the lemon juice and that’s it. Enjoy!
Now to make the basil leaves remain beautifully green, I read somewhere to blanch the leaves first in boiling water for 5 seconds. Then after that, put the leaves in ice water or cold running water to stop the cooking. I surely will do the same next time.
As for the pesto sauce, you can freeze it before mixing the Parmesan Cheese. In my case, since everybody at home were excited, we immediately used it for our Tuna Pesto Pasta. It tasted really good and yummy. I wish I had a better picture for I just took it with my mobile phone before we ate it. I promise to just cook another one next time and post it here!
Thanks for reading friends! Feel free to share your style of doing this pesto sauce and using the pesto in any dish.