My Little One’s Birth Story

Today, I am going to share my little one’s unexpected birth story. I am breastfeeding my 13-day old little one while I am typing this post at the same time, so it may take me for a while.

38 weeks – On June 30, we visited my OB for our checkup. She did an I.E. (internal/vaginal examination) on me for the second time (the first time was on my 37th week visit and my cervix was not yet open at that time). According to her, my cervix was already effaced yet I was still 1 cm dilated. She told me to observe if I feel any contractions and if there are any blood or water discharge. She also advised me to do more walking since my maternity leave will start at that week already.

On July 4, we visited again my doctor. She made another I.E. and my cervix was still 1 cm dilated. She said that if there is still no sign of labor during the week, she will have to induce me the following week (the whole time we were preparing for a normal vaginal delivery birth). She gave me in advance a request for a biophysical scan profile (she wanted to be sure that my water level is still within the normal range) , but she smilingly said that I may not need it anyway.

Throughout the week, I’ve done a lot of walking, ate dates, talked to my little one on my tummy and prayed to God. But still, no signs of labor. I started to feel worried for I do not want to be induced, but I kept on my faith.

39 week – On July 9 I took a biophysical scan profile and there we found out that little one’s amniotic fluid went down to 6.1 (which is low-normal range) and that his weight increased to 3.8 kilos. The OB who did the ultrasound suggested that we immediately see my OB (she even asked for my OB’s contact number and called her),

Right there and then, we went to the hospital to see my doctor. Unfortunately she already left so we just contacted her. I told her of the result of the biophysical scan profile and she told me to head straight to the E.R. (emergency room). She said that given the result, she have no choice but to induce me (we will still try our best for the normal vaginal delivery).

So we went to the E.R. and an OB (on duty) did an I.E. on me. Still 1 cm and no sign of labor. And so I was induced hoping that my 1 cm dilation will improve. From the E.R., I was brought to the labor room to do some tests to check on the baby. Then later on I was brought to my room to wait for my labor. The nurse kept on checking on me every hour to ask if I already had contractions. I said I felt little contractions but not painful. Later in the evening, my doctor checked on me and did an I.E. Still i cm in my frustration. She gave me 18 hours (from the time I was induced) to wait for any improvements, otherwise I will deliver little one thru cesarean section (whether I like it or not) to spare him from more risks.

July 10, 2018 – Still 1 cm dilated, the nurse told me that I will be brought to the delivery room for a CS by 1:00 pm if there is still no improvement. So we already settled and prepared ourselves for the CS delivery since I’m still 1 cm dilated at 10:00 am. I braved myself having in mind that baby’s safety is what matters most than my ideals of having a normal vaginal delivery.

Past 1:00 pm I was brought to the delivery room. I was still induced at that time, hoping for improvement at the last minute, but still it failed. So past 2:00 pm, preparations started for my CS delivery. I was asked by my doctor if I want a classical cut or the bikini cut. Since the whole time I thought I will have a normal vaginal delivery, I wasn’t able to discuss with my doctor anything about CS delivery nor did I read anything about it. I wasn’t able to decide properly on what cut I prefer (and being in that situation where I’m about to be injected with anesthesia, it’s the last thing I had in mind), so my doctor was the one who decided for the bikini cut. Lesson learned: you still have to prepare yourself for a CS delivery and know everything about it even if you think you will have a normal vaginal delivery.

Then the last thing I remembered, I was injected with the anesthesia then I woke up with the nurse beside me holding the baby. I made a glance at my little one before he was taken into the NICU (Nursery Intensive Care Unit). Then later on while waiting for the effects of the anesthesia to wear off (still in the delivery room), the nurse brought my little one beside me so I can breastfeed him. I felt so relieved, happy and grateful seeing my baby and knowing he is fine. God is really great! Sometimes things happen beyond what we expected, planned and controlled, but if we always trust in Him, God will always do His miracles.

Our healthy, handsome little baby was born thru CS on July 10, 2018 at 3:06 in the afternoon, weighing 3.55 kilos. He is indeed our God answered prayer and amazing miracle!


Welcome to the world our baby, Michael Isaiah! πŸ™‚ Mommy and daddy loves you sooo much!!!



name signature

2 thoughts on “My Little One’s Birth Story”

  1. Birth plan is always something that works on paper πŸ“ more than in reality.
    Welcome to the world little one.
    I remember when I started my blog and was doing the same as you, feeding my daughter while typing. Such amazing feeling.
    How you feel well hun. Wish you all the best


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s